Historic property Old_school_buildings image.

The building on the right was built in 1915 to serve the children of Oriental and Kershaw who in 1917 rode the first motorized school bus in North Carolina. The Duke Seashore Summer School used this building in the 1920s for a teacher training program. The building on the left, reflecting the need for a high school, was erected in 1922. When students started going to school in Bayboro in the 1970s, both buildings were turned into apartments and subsequently restored as private residences in 2000.